Character Creation: Rask Eervol

Level 15 Cleric of War, Lasad Goliath [Acclimated to warm climates rather than cold ones]

Starting Abilities
Str: 13; Dex: 10; Con: 13; Int: 10; Wis: 15; Cha: 12

Goliath: +2 Str, +1 Con

Post Racials
Str: 15; Dex: 10; Con: 14; Int: 10; Wis: 15; Cha: 12

ASIs
4: +1 Con/Wis; 8: +2 Wis; 12: Resilient (Con)

Level 15 Scores
Str: 15; Dex: 10; Con: 15; Int: 10; Wis: 18; Cha: 12

HP Rolls
8, 5,6,3,4,6,7,7,2,3,4,4,6,5,5

Level 15 HP

Total (x)= Rolls (x) + Con (30)

Starting Equipment
Weapon: +2 Fiendsbane Maul (2d6 Bludgeoning, Two-Handed, Heavy); [Major Properties.] +2d10 against Undead and Fiends; glows with bright light in 10ft radius and 20ft radius of dim light; glow doubled when fiends and undead near; you have advantage on saves against the natural abilities of fiends and undead; Once per day, can use the spell Earth Tremor using your Wisdom and Proficiency for the Spell Save DC. [Minor Properties.] Giant. The item is larger than normal and was crafted by giants for use by their smaller allies. Bane. This item was created by the foes of a particular culture or kind of creature. If the culture or creatures are still around, they might recognize the item and single out the bearer as an enemy. Conscientious. When the bearer of this item contemplates or undertakes a malevolent act, the item enhances pangs of conscience. Muttering. The item grumbles and mutters. A creature who listens carefully to the item might learn something useful. Requires attunement.

Secondary: Sojourner’s Staff (1d4 Bludgeoning, Versatile [1d6], 10 charges; 1d6+4 renewed at dawn). Can Detect Evil and Good on touching staff to target (1 charge), Cure Wounds (1 charge), Protection from Evil and Good (1 charge), Lesser Restoration (3 charges). Requires attunement.

Armor: +1 Singe-gilded Full-Plate Armor. You gain resistance to Acid damage. Requires attunement.

Item #1: Magic Smith’s Mallet. This magic mallet possesses special magic that can repair non-magical equipment with a successful Dex (Blacksmithing Tools) check of 10 + Item’s level of Sundering. This item can repair up to two points of sundering each day on non-magical equipment. The mallet’s uses are renewed at dawn the next day.

Item #2: Pure Gold Holy Symbol. You can use Channel Divinity once per day to Turn Undead without using your allotment of Channel Divinity uses. This item’s use is renewed at dawn the next day. You must be able to Channel Divinity to benefit from this item.

Item #3: -

Item #4: -

Handmade Item: Ivory-White Cape of the Tower; You can use your War Priest ability three extra times per day. You permeate an aura of hope about you within a 10-foot radius. An ally who stands within the aura gains a bonus to their Saving Throws against being frightened and Strength-based Saving Throws equal to your Wisdom modifier. Requires attunement (can only be attuned to you).

Standard Boon: -

RP Gift: Keys to the Temple of Torm and the Smithy of the Temple

Other: 2,000gp and any items that costs less than 100GP. DO NOT GO OVERBOARD!

Skills, Tools, and Languages
Cleric

Background
Chainbreaker

Race
Athletics

5,6,3,4,6,7,7,2,3,4,4,6,5,5,+0

hp rolls

Can I haz?

Flasks are one pint.
Vials hold 4oz
1 pint is 16 oz
so 4 vials per flask

Holywater 25gp
Alchemist’s Fire 50gp
Vial 1gp
Crossbow bolts 1gp per 20
Sealing wax 5sp or 0.05gp

Holywater or Alchemist’s Fire is poured into each vial, the tip of a crossbow bolt is then used as the vial’s stopper and sealed on to it with sealing wax.

Cost per bundle of bolts
[num_bolts*vial_cost+(num_bolts/4)flaskagent_cost+bolts_cost+bolts_numwax_cost=total_cost]

Holy Water Bolts:

Component list:

20 crossbow bolts

20 vials

<span style=“line-height: 1.5;”>5 flasks of holy water</span>

20 units of sealing wax

Below is the equation I use for pricing.

20*1+(20/4)25+1+200.05=
20+125+1+1=147

Holy Water Bolts 147gp for 20: 1d4 radiant damage on hit

Alchemists Fire Bolts:

Component list:

20 crossbow bolts

20 vials

5 flasks of alchemist’s fire

20 units of sealing wax

<span style=“line-height: 1.5;”>Below is the equation I use for pricing.</span>

20*1+(20/4)50+1+200.05=
20+250+1+1=272

Alchemist’s Fire Bolts 272gp for 20: on hit does 1d4 fire damage for 1d4 turns or until a dc10 dex save.

Crafting: I was thinking maybe have this be a DC10, provided the crafting materials were on hand, would that be ok?

And just for fun I figured I’d use a similar equation for figuring out acid if someone ever wants it.

Acid Bolts:

acid comes in vials, so one would simply unstop the vial and use a crossbow bolt as a new stopper and seal it with sealing wax.

Component list:

20 crossbow bolts

20 vials of acid

20 units of sealing wax

Below is the equation I use for pricing.

[num_boltsacid_cost+bolts_cost+bolts_numwax_cost=total_cost]

2025+1+200.05=
500+1+1=502

Acid Bolts 502gp for 20: 1d4 acid damage on hit

Interesting thought, one might also be able to deliver potions and antivenome this way :smiley:

I will create an item suggestion in the forums for liquid-filled bolts. One of my players has bolts with a spell attached to them in a non-magical means without any penalty. It should be fine.

This was posted with my tablet so please excuse mistakes.

Rask’s Background:

Rask began life in the desert mountains of Lasad. When he was 5 years old his tribe was attacked by slavers in the night, a smelly sack was shoved over his head, he was bound, and taken away. He does not know what became of his tribe.</span>

Much of his memories of the time before he was taken are faded with time or touched by child like exageration.

He was taken to Jurlerom and a few months later was sold to a dwarven smith named Baermond. Baermond was gruff, strict, but fair. For the first time in months Rask had a bed, a pile of straw in the loft above the forge, but a bed none the less.

Baermond was busy and kept Rask busy with the numerous simple tasks that tied up the blacksmith’s time. Despite his situation Rask’s tendency to compete both with him self and Baermond earned him the begrudging respect of the smith. He worked hard, many times harder than the smith himself.

When Rask turned 7 Baermond took him on as a full apprentice though Rask was still a slave.

Over the years Rask learned that Baermond was a member of a small family that came from Dundledin. He also learned that his family was heavily indebted to the larger Burrad family from the same city and that Baermond sent most of his earnings to pay for his family’s debts.

By the time Rask was 12 Baermond had begun to think of him as more of a son. When Baermond found that his family would be free of their debts in a few years he made a promise to Rask. If Rask would help him pay his family debts by Rask’s 18th birthday he could have his freedom and not only that Baermond would help him try to find his tribe and family.

With new fire Rask drove himself to new heights in service to Baermond.

Over the next few years Baermond’s shop grew in popularity. But this new found popularity and the wealth that came with it did not go unnoticed. The Burrad family sent thugs to collect what was due to them.

When he was 17, Rask walked into the shop and was immediately attacked and restrained by six strange dwarves. As he was being dragged out of the shop he saw Baermond, head bowed, and screamed to him for help but he did not move.

(Rask is not aware that the Burrad strong armed Baermond into giving Rask to them as payment to his family’s debt)

Rask was shackled and lead to a ship in Jurlerom’s harbor. The ship then set sale for Dundledin.

After he arrived he was sold to the Toral clan who took him to Grishneln where he was put to work in their forges.

The Toral forges were brutal, slaves were made to work 15 hour days. The only rest was the few minutes allowed for eating enough to keep just enough strength to keep going. Sleeping quarters were hot bunked.

For a year Rask toiled in the Toral forges under the whips of the quarter masters who abused his competitive nature to demand more and more from him.

Three months after his 18th birthday he met a human named Van Solev, a new slave purchased by the Toral. Van became good friends with Rask, as good of friends as the forges allowed. Van was not silent about the mistreatments they endured and ended up trying to rally the slaves to revolt. Van was captured and placed in X stocks where all working the forges could see.

The Toral felt that a lesson was needed. In secret they hired a woman to teach that lesson. Rask would later find that the symbols and vestiments were those of a follower of Scahrossar the goddess of sadism, masochism, pleasure and pain.

For days she worked on Van, the screams were sickenning, and in the end Van’s mutilated and lifeless body was left as a grim reminder what dissention got a slave of the Toral clan.

It was after this Rask decided to escape, live or die.

He waited for over a year for his oportunity. Finally the day came when he was on a work crew repairing a bridge that crossed high above an underground river that flowed by the outskirts of the city. Due to the labor he had to perform the chains were removed from his shackles and colar to allow for free movement. When the task master was not looking Rask threw himself from the bridge and disappeared in the black waters.

He was not long missed, the hunt was on. Rask swam down stream until the river emerged from the mountain where it formed a waterfall. He fled on foot to the north, his feet seemingly moving on their own, at times he even felt almost lead to follow the paths he found himself on.

After a week of flight his masters were nearly on him, still somehow he managed to evade them, seemingly from an uncanny measure of luck. But one night his luck gave out.

As he ran through the rain he could hear dogs and dwarves in pursute behind him. As he rounded a ledge he came face to face with what looked like a fortress. He ran, death or capture from someone else would be prefereable to what waited for him if he stopped.

As he grew closer he began to be able to make out details, the fortress was beautifuly carved depicting heros conquring monsters and demons, and there were guards outside.

As Rask staggered up the bridge that lead up to the grandious door it was shoved open and a man in white robes bound with a blood red cord strode out. Rask stumbled and fell, the man rushed forward to catch him as the guards begand to draw their weapons. The man commanded that the guards cease and turned his attention to Rask as Rask’s pursuants arrived.

The pursuants demanded that Rask be returned to his rightful owners, Rask pleaded with the man to protect him. The man stood and identified himself as Master Prestari Eervol of Yavnathr and stated that Rask was under the protection of the temple.

The pursuants began to draw steel, in response to this over 20 paladin emerged from the temple gate. Eervol raised his hand, his voice shook the earth as he commanded them to stand down.

After the pursuants had stopped Eervol demanded to know Rask’s price, once told he sent one of the paladin into the temple. The paladin emerged several uncomfortable minutes later with a bag of gold and handed it to the leader of those that pursued Rask. He then stated that the Yavnathr owned Rask and would not tolerate theft. At that the pursuants took the gold and left.

After that Eervol turned to Rask and pronounced he was a free man and was free to go. Rask begged to remain, which Eervol allowed.

Over the next 6 years Rask was trained at the temple, quickly raising through the ranks of the Acolites and then the ranks of Illmater. When he joined the ranks of Torm Eervol, who had adopted Rask, presented him with his armor of rank. Among the armor was a belt made from the shackles and colar that Rask had worn when he arrived at the temple.

After this Rask began to take duties that allowed him to travel as much as he could. During the course of 5 years he became something of a folk hero, in part due to his attachment to the Yavnathr and in part due to his involvment in battles and defeats of monsters. In all his travels he was never granted the oportunity to travel freely on Mirdroth.

When Rask was beginning his 31st year Eervol perished when his temple at Kel’Virki was destroyed.

Rask was tasked with investigating the cause of the temple’s destruction on his way to Castle Saer.

When he arrived at Kel’Virki he found no bodies, only the toppled remains of the temple fortress.

He then traveled to Castle Saer and was sent to Mirdroth to find the adventurerers.

[s:1xe8r7je]I was considering one of these deities that have the war domain, are any of them a no go?

Name, Description : align : symbol
Tempus, god of war : N : Upright flaming sword
Torm, god of courage and self-sacrifice : LG : White right gauntlet
Tyr, god of justice : LG : Balanced scales resting on a warhammer
Heironeous, god of chivalry and valor : LG : Lightning bolt
Trithereon, god of liberty and retribution : CG : Triskelion
Paladine, god of rulers and guardians : LG : Silver triangle
Dol Arrah, goddess of sunlight and honor : LG : Rising sun[/s:1xe8r7je]

I’m going to go with “Tyr, god of courage and self-sacrifice : LG : White right gauntlet” as long as that works for you.

I am having a derpy day, I know you explained what the below quoted stuff means and I am sorry I forgot what you had said to me. Could you explain what you are looking for on the below in here so that I can reference it here later?

I snipped out things I knew.

ASIs, wut?
Weapon, Secondary, Armor, I’m just looking for limitations.
Item 1-4 are these just any non-weapon/armor items or does it need to be a specific type of item?
Handmade Item, not sure what my limitations on this are.
I know you mentioned that you were picking some of these, I just can’t remember which ones, I think boon and rp were ones but I just can’t remember.

ASIs
Starting Equipment
Weapon:
Secondary:
Armor:
Item #1:
Item #2:
Item #3:
Item #4:
Handmade Item:
Standard Boon:
RP Gift: 

[February 21, 2016 at 9:33 pm]

@mesoterra wrote
[s:dqrpdaex]I was considering one of these deities that have the war domain, are any of them a no go?

Name, Description : align : symbol
Tempus, god of war : N : Upright flaming sword
Torm, god of courage and self-sacrifice : LG : White right gauntlet
Tyr, god of justice : LG : Balanced scales resting on a warhammer
Heironeous, god of chivalry and valor : LG : Lightning bolt
Trithereon, god of liberty and retribution : CG : Triskelion
Paladine, god of rulers and guardians : LG : Silver triangle
Dol Arrah, goddess of sunlight and honor : LG : Rising sun[/s:dqrpdaex]

I'm going to go with “Tyr, god of courage and self-sacrifice : LG : White right gauntlet” as long as that works for you.

I am having a derpy day, I know you explained what the below quoted stuff means and I am sorry I forgot what you had said to me. Could you explain what you are looking for on the below in here so that I can reference it here later?

I snipped out things I knew.

ASIs, wut?
Weapon, Secondary, Armor, I'm just looking for limitations.
Item 1-4 are these just any non-weapon/armor items or does it need to be a specific type of item?
Handmade Item, not sure what my limitations on this are.
I know you mentioned that you were picking some of these, I just can't remember which ones, I think boon and rp were ones but I just can't remember.

ASIs

Starting Equipment
    Weapon:

Secondary:

Armor:

Item #1:

Item #2:

Item #3:

Item #4:

Handmade Item:

Standard Boon:

RP Gift:

Do you mean Torm instead of Tyr?

ASI = Ability Score Improvement, which is gained, for the cleric, at 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19.

Weapon = +2 Weapon w/ some enchantment
Secondary = +1 Item to fill out character equipment (second weapon, shield, wand, etc), possibly with an enchanment
Armor = +1 suit of armor w/ some enchantment
Item #1-4 = Items that could benefit the group as a party, or, if the character concept is hard to fill out, will be nixed to give the necessary benefits to make the character
Handmade Item = an item I make not found in the DMG which further makes the character a unique addition
Standard boon = A permanent buff to the character, usually in the form of resistance to an energy, a minor stat increase, or something else
RP Gift = an item which isn’t of direct stat/combat benefit, but which fills out the character’s background and story. Example of previous gifts would be a village, a fort, a ship, etc.

[February 22, 2016 at 1:41 pm]

This is what I have so far. Feel free to make adjustments as you’d like.

Name: Rask Eervol

Race: Goliath
Alignment: Lawfull Good
Height: 7′ 5″
Weight: 320 lb.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Class: Cleric
Domain: War
Deity: Torm, god of courage and self-sacrifice : LG : White right gauntlet

Background: Folk Hero
Defining Event: I stood alone against a terrible monster.
Personality Trait: If someone is in trouble, I’m always ready to lend help.
Ideal: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw: I have trouble trusting in my allies.[/pre:2086jsij]

Skill Proficiencies: Animal Handling, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: Smithing, vehicles (land)
Equipment: Smith’s tools, a shovel, an iron pot, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

Birth Region: Lasad
Region during Enslavement: Undowaul
Home Region: Saertyrk Kingdom

Backstory:
Was taken from his village as an infant.

First memories are as a blacksmith’s slave in one of the port cities of Lasad. After a time he was sold to a dwarven merchant who took him to one of the underkingdoms of Feldour. There he grew through the ranks of slaves to become a smith in his own right.

At the age of 19 he lead an escape attempt of over 50 foundry slaves, most of them died or were captured but Rask and a few others escaped. Rask and the survivors were hunted by their masters until they arrived at a temple of Ilmater the god of compassion, freedom, and hope. The temple was guarded by Paladins and Clerics of Torm, who prevented the slave masters from entering and seizing the Rask and the others. Cleric Eervol interveined, before any blood was spilled, and bought the freedom of the slaves seeking sanctuary.

Rask took to Cleric Eervol, considering him a father, even taking his surname for his own. Eervol gave him the name Rask, prior to this he had been referred to as #1283. The day his freedom was bought his collar and shackles were removed but the scars still show to this day. Cleric Eervol spent his remaining years tempering the rage and hatered in Rask’s heart and teaching him mercy and compassion. Cleric Eervol began sending Rask on missions to protect the common people.

When Rask was 27 Cleric Eervol, Rask, and several Paladins of Torm fought along side town guards against the vanguard of a very large Orc raiding party. Though they defeated the vanguard, Cleric Eervol was slain along with all but two of the Paladins. In a fit of rage and greif Rask rallied the village folk, arming them with whatever they could find. When the horde approached Rask charged a head of the host. The fires of war began to roar without cause, his eyes glowed, and his voice boomed (all through thaumaturgy) as he identified himself as a cleric of the god of war and challenged the Orc Cheiftan to a duel for the fate of the city. After a great battle Rask slew the Orc Cheiftan, the remaining Orc horde fled, being too terrified to remain in the presence of this Cleric seemgly possessed by the god of war.

After that battle he further won the hearts of common people through acts of service and self sacrifice. Rask climbed the ranks of the order of Torm until they wanted him to take a possition in the Great Temple, where his duties would prevent him from serving the people. He declined the possition, and requested to be sent abroad, the High Cleric of Torm gave him the Ring of Torm identifying him as an agent of the High Cleric of Torm and sent him to investigate wild magic in the north.

Level 15 Cleric of War, Lasad Goliath [Acclimated to warm climates rather than cold ones]

Starting Ability Scores
Str: 13 +1; Dex: 10 +0; Con: 13 +1; Int: 10 +0; Wis: 15 +2; Cha: 12 +1

Ability Score Increases (Racial):
Str: +2; Dex: +0; Con: +1; Int: +0; Wis: +0; Cha: +0

Ability Score Iincreases
4: ASI [Con +1 & Wis +1]
8: ASI [Wis +2]
12: Resilient: [Con +1]

Current Ability Scores:
Str: 15; Dex: 10; Con: 16; Int: 10; Wis: 18; Cha: 12

Current Level 15 Ability Score Modifiers
(+2, +0, +3, +0, +4, +1)

Current Level 15 Ability Score Modifiers plus Racials:
(+4, +0, +4, +0, +4, +1)

HP Rolls
8+2

Saving Throw Proficiency:
Wis
Cha
Con

Starting Equipment
Weapon: +2 Fiendsbane Maul (2d6 Bludgeoning, Two-Handed, Heavy); [Major Properties.] +2d10 against Undead and Fiends; glows with bright light in 10ft radius and 20ft radius of dim light; glow doubled when fiends and undead near; you have advantage on saves against the natural abilities of fiends and undead; Once per day, can use the spell Earth Tremor using your Wisdom and Proficiency for the Spell Save DC. [Minor Properties.] Giant. The item is larger than normal and was crafted by giants for use by their smaller allies. Bane. This item was created by the foes of a particular culture or kind of creature. If the culture or creatures are still around, they might recognize the item and single out the bearer as an enemy. Conscientious. When the bearer of this item contemplates or undertakes a malevolent act, the item enhances pangs of conscience. Muttering. The item grumbles and mutters. A creature who listens carefully to the item might learn something useful. Requires attunement.

Secondary: Sojourner’s Staff (1d4 Bludgeoning, Versatile [1d6], 10 charges; 1d6+4 renewed at dawn). Can Detect Evil and Good on touching staff to target (1 charge), Cure Wounds (1 charge), Protection from Evil and Good (1 charge), Lesser Restoration (3 charges). Requires attunement.

Armor: +1 Singe-gilded Full-Plate Armor. You gain resistance to Acid damage. Requires attunement.

Item #1: Magic Smith’s Mallet. This magic mallet possesses special magic that can repair non-magical equipment with a successful Dex (Blacksmithing Tools) check of 10 + Item’s level of Sundering. This item can repair up to two points of sundering each day on non-magical equipment. The mallet’s uses are renewed at dawn the next day.

Item #2: Pure Gold Holy Symbol. You can use Channel Divinity once per day to Turn Undead without using your allotment of Channel Divinity uses. This item’s use is renewed at dawn the next day. You must be able to Channel Divinity to benefit from this item.

Item #3:

Item #4:

Handmade Item: Ivory-White Cape of the Tower; You can use your War Priest ability three extra times per day. You permeate an aura of hope about you within a 10-foot radius. An ally who stands within the aura gains a bonus to their Saving Throws against being frightened and Strength-based Saving Throws equal to your Wisdom modifier. Requires attunement (can only be attuned to you).

Standard Boon: –

RP Gift: –

[pre:2086jsij]Other: 2,000gp and any items that costs less than 100GP. DO NOT GO OVERBOARD!
On Person:
Signet ring: 5gp; –; x1 (Ring of Torm)
Emblem: 5gp; –; x1 (on signet ring)

Pouch: 5sp; 1 lb; x1
Holy water: 50gp; 2 lb; x2
Alchemist’s fire: 100gp; 2 lb; x2
Ball bearings: 1gp; 2 lb; x1

Pouch: 5sp; 1 lb; x1
Potion of Healing: 200gp; 2 lb; x4
Caltrops: 1gp; 2 lb; x1
Holy water: 25gp; 1 lb; x1
Alchemist’s fire: 50gp; 1 lb; x1

Components pouch: 25gp; 1 lb; x1

Strapped outside of backpack:
Longsword: 115gp; 3 lb; x1 (1d8 slashing, silvered, versitile[1d10])
+2 Fiendsbane Maul; 10 lb

Backpack: 2gp; 5 lb; carrying capacity used: 19/30 lb
Healer’s kit: 5gp; 3 lb; x1
Rope, silk: 10gp; 5 lb; x1 (50 feet)
Torch: 4cp; 4 lb; x4
Manacles: 2gp; 6 lb; x1
Wooden stake: 1cp ; 1 lb; x1

Draft horse: Carrying capacity: 1/540 lb (pulling wagon) Drag: 1/1080
Bit and Bridle: 2gp; 1 lb

Draft horse: Carrying capacity: 1/540 lb (pulling wagon) Drag: 1/1080
Bit and Bridle: 2gp; 1 lb

Wagon: 35gp ; 400 lb
Smith’s tools: 20gp; 8 lb; x1
Bedroll: 1gp ; 7 lb; x1
Rations: 200sp; 80 lb; x40
Water skin: 2sp; 5 lb; x1
Tinderbox: 5sp; 1 lb; x1
Mess kit: 2sp; 1 lb; x1
Tent: 2gp; 20 lb; x1
Feed: 200cp; 400 lb; x40
Barrel: 10gp; 350 lb; x5 (water; 40 days)
Iron pot: 2gp; 10 lb; x1
Flask: 24cp; 12 lb; x12
Shortsword: 10gp; 2 lb; x1
Dagger: 102gp; 1 lb; x1 (silvered)
Shield: 10gp; 6 lb; x1
Light Armor: Padded: 5gp; 8 lb; x1

Languages (I figured if he grew up in an underkingdom then he probably wouldn’t know giant)
Speak, read, and write Common
Speak, read, and write Dwarvish

Skills and Tools

Cleric
Skills
Persuasion
Religion

Background
Tools
Smith’s tools
Vehicles (land)
Skills
Animal Handling
Survival

Race
Athletics[/pre:2086jsij]
[February 27, 2016 at 7:36 am]

I cleaned up your post to clarify what was going. I was confused by some of the ways that the post was written. I have also added the new totals to the main post.
[March 1, 2016 at 1:44 pm]