Create and Share Your Own Music with MuseScore

One area of art that is profoundly important is the musical, and sharing music can be a great blessing. While there are other options for sharing music, such as SoundCloud and YouTube, an alternative option comes from a great piece of opensource software. While there are paid options, such as Sibelius and Finale, specialized software like these can be expensive. Much as I have come to prefer the GIMP over Adobe’s Photoshop, let me share a famous quote and then the software.

We can mention only one point (which experience confirms), namely, that next to the Word of God, music deserves the highest praise. No greater commendation than this can be found — at least not by us. After all, the gift of language combined with the gift of song was only given to man to let him know that he should praise God with both word and music, namely, by proclaiming [the Word of God] through music.
Martin Luther

musescore-icon-round-128

musescore_logo_full

For software that allows you to compose music at no direct cost to you, I suggest the free and opensource MuseScore. For those wishing to support the software, let me suggest donating. You can find the download at their website or at the following link.

Additionally, Linux users can find the software in Flathub. (Note that MuseScore in Ubuntu’s repo is only version 2.x, while the latest is 3.x as of this writing.)

MuseScore also has a hosting portion where you can share your music and enable others to play that music found below.

https://musescore.com/

For examples, see below. (Note: After working with @mesoterra, I have determined that more work needs to be done.)

Amazing Grace (easy piano) by dandra
The planets-Mars by iftahgal1998