Fleshing Out Thaagülm

After getting to play him once, I can definitely see that the armor and great axe aren’t really his… character.

Would it be possible to change his legacy feature(s) from the blade/armor/orb to say a staff/robe/orb or staff and orb? I’d be up for different bonuses to better reflect those items. He just doesn’t play like a knight. He is definitely more of a teacher and researcher type. I’d think he’d be less of a knight in the Arcane Templar and more of a… cleric or something, not cleric like the class.

What do you think?

[glow=purple:2a4wn23n]Thaagulm Legacy Feature – Proposed Rework: Legacy of the Atten’Das[/glow:2a4wn23n]

[glow=blue:2a4wn23n]Mana Staff[/glow:2a4wn23n]
You wield a runic staff, forged from arcanite and tempered in the mana pools of Atten’Das. Atten’Das Mana flows throughout the metal construction of the staff, visible through the decorative channels carved on the staff’s exterior. It has a rounded top and a sharp bottom tip. Features of the staff are as follows:

• Weighs 2 lbs.

• Melee attacks deal 1d6 bludgeoning or 1d6 piercing (if using the sharp, pointed bottom).

• This staff is considered a magical item.

• This item acts as an arcane focus for you.

• This staff radiates a magical glow, providing illumination in a 5ft. radius. You can toggle this passive illumination at will. The blade glows extremely bright, up to a 20ft. radius, when within 100ft. of a magical object that has not been near it in the last 24 hours. Touching the magical object with the staff will dim the staff back to its passive illumination.

• You can perform special actions with the staff, as listed below.

Per Short Rest:

• Potent Arcane (3 Times): Increase the Save DC of a spell by 2. This bonus can be stacked.

• Precise Arcane (3 Times): Add a +2 bonus to a spell attack roll. This bonus can be stacked.

• Proxy Spell (2 Times): When you have a familiar and it is within 100 ft. of you, your spells can originate from your familiar. Doing so imposes disadvantage on the reaction(s) of your target(s) and any counterspells being invoked against you. You must declare you are using this feature when casting the spell. Cantrips do not expend a use of this feature.

• Higher Arcane (2 Times):You can cast a spell with the benefits of a spell slot of 1 level higher. This bonus can be stacked.

Per Long Rest:

• Flare (3 Times): Your staff mimics the effects of the Daylight spell, with itself as the targeted object.

• Blessing (1 Time): For a number of rounds equal to 1+1 per level of spell slot used, allies within 30 ft. of you are healed for 1d6+your Int. mod. per round.

• Sphere of Protection (1 Time): Your staff mimics the effects of the Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere spell, except in a 10 ft. radius sphere centered around the staff.

• Desperate Power (1 Time): Each round for the next minute, you can spend an action to mimic the effects of Banishment spell. Using this deactivates the power in your staff until you take a long rest.

[glow=blue:2a4wn23n]Rune Scribe[/glow:2a4wn23n]
Chanting ancient words from your homeland’s dialect, you engrave runes with your Mana Staff and imbue them with your magic.

Etched Runes

• Focusing the Mana Staff’s energy toward its tip, you easily etch the rune onto a solid surface (such as a wooden shield) and imbue it with a spell that you know, expending the appropriate spell slot. This process takes 1 minute per spell slot level. The size of the rune must be approximately the size of your hand.

• You specify the conditions in which this rune’s magic triggers, such as a time delay, proximity detection, the presence of someone else’s magic, etc. If the trigger is proximity based, the proximity range cannot exceed the cast/effect range of the base spell.

• When the rune triggers, it glows with a magical light for the duration of the spell effect. If the spell effect is instantaneous, a magical light flashes briefly.

• After an etched rune has been triggered, the rune’s magic dissipates, leaving the rune dormant but still visible.

• Intelligent creatures who succeed on an Investigation check can see a rune before and after it triggers, but must succeed on an Arcana check to ascertain that it is magical. The rune cannot be removed by non-magical means unless its spell has triggered and the rune is dormant.

• You cannot at any time have an active amount of etched runes exceeding your Proficiency Bonus+ 2*Int. Mod. When you etch a new rune that exceeds this limit, you can choose which of your other etched runes become dormant, losing their magic.

• If the rune does not trigger, you can refund the spell slot used to imbue the rune by tapping it with your Mana Staff.

Touch Aura Runes

• When etching a rune and expending a spell slot, you can choose to make it a Touch Aura Rune.

• When the Touch Aura Rune’s activation condition is triggered, the rune creates a slightly radiant aura in a 20 ft. radius sphere.

• The aura lasts for 3 rounds per spell slot level expended.

• You gain vision of the area within this aura.

• You are able to deliver touch spells within this aura, regardless of your distance from the Touch Aura Rune.

• Additionally, as an action, you can choose to impose one of the following conditions upon creatures inside the aura (subject to your spell Save DC): Blinded, Charmed, Deafened, Restrained. These conditions only affect the targets as long as they are inside the aura. If they leave the aura and re-enter it, they are subject to the spell Save DC again.

• If the rune does not trigger, you can refund the spell slot used to imbue the rune by tapping it with your Mana Staff.

[glow=blue:2a4wn23n]Robe of Deception[/glow:2a4wn23n]
You have a plain looking robe with invisible runes drawn upon it. Features of the robe are as follows:

• Weighs 5 lbs., AC 11 + Dex Mod.

• This robe is considered magical.

• Stealth: Once per long rest, you can choose to gain the benefit of either the Invisibility spell or the Greater Invisibility spell. This can only affect you.

• Wispy Escape: If you are in danger of being instantly killed by physical means (a high fall, being crushed by a solid object, etc.), you gain the benefits of the spell Gaseous Form for 5 minutes. After this effect has ended, the Robe temporarily loses its magical effects and properties for 3 days.

[January 14, 2016 at 10:50 pm]

Thaagulm Legacy Feature – Proposed Rework: Legacy of the Atten’Das

Mana Staff

You wield a runic staff, forged from arcanite and tempered in the mana pools of Atten’Das. Atten’Das Mana flows throughout the metal construction of the staff, visible through the decorative channels carved on the staff’s exterior. Features of the staff are as follows:

Weighs 2 lbs.

This staff is considered a magical item.

This item acts as an arcane focus for you.

This staff radiates a magical glow, providing illumination in a 5ft. radius. You can toggle this passive illumination at will. The blade glows extremely bright, up to a 20ft. radius, when within 100ft. of a magical object that has not been near it in the last 24 hours. Touching the magical object with the blade will dim the blade back to its passive illumination.

You can perform special actions with the staff, as listed below.

@lordnewb

Simple but good. I notice it says blade; I am guessing this is meant to be shaft. I like the simple quality of it. It adds that archaeologist’s touch. Staff’s damage (I’m guessing quarterstaff)? What if any of the features allowed me to prepare more spells?

Info

Per Short Rest:

Potent Arcane (3 Times): Increase the Save DC of a spell by 2. This bonus can be stacked.

Precise Arcane (3 Times): Add a +2 bonus to a spell attack roll. This bonus can be stacked.

Proxy Spell (2 Times): When you have a familiar and it is within 100 ft. of you, your spells can originate from your familiar. Doing so imposes disadvantage on the reaction(s) of your target(s) and any counterspells being invoked against you. You must declare you are using this feature when casting the spell.

Higher Arcane (2 Times):You can cast a spell with the benefits of a spell slot of 1 level higher. This bonus can be stacked.

Previously, mana had been something recharged. Is this to bring it inline with other D&D mechanics? Could there be one which lowers casting times (See my thoughts on Thaagulm below). Could Proxy be so that Cantrips don’t use a use?

Info

Per Long Rest:

Flare (3 Times): Your staff mimics the effects of the Daylight spell, with itself as the targeted object.

Blessing (1 Time): For a number of rounds equal to 1+1 per level of spell slot used, allies within 30 ft. of you are healed for 1d6+your Int. mod. per round.

Sphere of Protection (1 Time): Your staff mimics the effects of the Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere spell, except in a 10 ft. radius sphere centered around the staff.

Desperate Power (1 Time): For the next minute, you can spend an action to mimic the effects of Banishing Smite spell, selecting a target up to 30 ft. away from you. Using this deactivates the power in your staff until you take a long rest.

Is it possible to change Banishing Smite to something else that’s more Wizardy, such as the Banishment spell or something more like that (less damage and more utility-oriented)? How long does Otiluke’s last in this case (as per the spell or…)? What if it had a feature that, once per long rest, I could switch out a chunk or all of my prepared spells (Quicken Study), or at least do it in reduced time?

Rune Scribe

Etched Runes

Focusing the Mana Staff’s energy toward its tip, you easily etch the rune onto a solid surface (such as a wooden shield) and imbue it with a spell that you know, expending the appropriate spell slot. This process takes 1 minute per spell slot level. The size of the rune must be approximately the size of your hand.

You specify the conditions in which this rune’s magic triggers, such as a time delay, proximity detection, the presence of someone else’s magic, etc. If the trigger is proximity based, the proximity range cannot exceed the cast/effect range of the base spell.

When the rune triggers, it glows with a magical light for the duration of the spell effect. If the spell effect is instantaneous, a magical light flashes briefly.

After an etched rune has been triggered, the rune’s magic dissipates, leaving the rune dormant but still visible.

Intelligent creatures who succeed on an Investigation check can see a rune before and after it triggers, but must succeed on an Arcana check to ascertain that it is magical. The rune cannot be removed by non-magical means unless its spell has triggered and the rune is dormant.

You cannot at any time have an active amount of etched runes exceeding your Proficiency Bonus+ 2*Int. Mod. When you etch a new rune that exceeds this limit, you can choose which of your other etched runes become dormant, losing their magic.

So this feature can only be used to inscribe spells from my spellbook? Could there be flavor text added that I have to chant some ancient words over the rune (adding a verbal component).

One thing I sort of like about Thaagulm is his slower spellcasting nature; he doesn’t have a lot of fast action spells. He thinks what he will do, plots it out, considers the consequences, then casts; he is a slow-going character. I like him to be a preparatory and utility caster; him being thrown into a situation he has not prepared for weakens him. Given this, I have offered some of my thoughts below. Keep this in mind with some of the features. What about using Runes as an optional Spell Component? Simple ideas:

Info

You store Runes in a Runebook. Rune Spells add a somatic-like component which cannot be removed, such as by a Sorcerer’s Metamagic. Adding a Rune to a spell’s components requires the use of a Bonus Action. Adding multiple runes to a spell increases the casting time to a full action for two runes, or a full action and your next turn’s bonus action for three or more runes.
Rune of the Quill
When cast, the spell does not require a verbal component and the spell causes no sound (ex. fireball’s explosion would be silent).
Rune of Warding
When cast, you inscribe the spell on a surface area equal to 1 sq. inch per spell slot level (functionality as above).
Rune of the Horizon: You cast the spell, extending its reach by 50%.
Rune of Shields: You can cast Blade Ward on a target within 30 feet (I saw this as a house rule; I may implement it as standard in my campaign).
Rune of Dispelling: You inscribe Arcane Wave with dispelling properties, allowing you to dispel a spell in some way.
Rune of Bombardment: You inscribe Arcane Wave with explosive power, causing it to explode on targets within 5 feet. The spell no longer requires an attack roll, but enemies can make a resist check to avoid the damage.
Rune of Chaining: You inscribe Arcane Wave, causing its arcing nature to spread to attack an enemy(ies) nearby your target if you hit.
Rune of Insanity. You inscribe a frightening visage into your Minor Illusion spell, causing the creature’s which think it to be real to take Psychic damage appropriate to the illusion (a swordsman deals 1d8 + your Int mod psychic damage). You can inscribe this into the Hallucinatory Terrain spell, causing the illusory ground to attack your foes with Psychic damage.
Rune of Imbuement: You cast the spell, but it is modified with additional effects. Each effect must be predetermined from a rune developed or discovered. Such an effect is approved by the DM.
Examples:
Rune of Firefly Torches: Your Dancing Light cantrip does not require a Bonus action to control and the lights no longer need to be within 20 feet of each other.
Something for higher level spells (it is much easier thinking of these things for lower level spells!). Basic idea: Rune of the Architect: When casting Wall of Stone, you can create finer details as well, such as stairs or a door. Think Stone Shape.
Rune of Hungering: You cast the spell which marks your target, causing all those who strike the target with a weapon to heal for 1d6 damage.
Rune of High Arcana: You cast the spell, increasing a non-damaging numerical effect by 50% (such as number of HD or amount of material or area of effect).

What if the staff granted new cantrips? Simple ideas:

[details=Info]Lightning Lure http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Lure
Earthen Combustion: Like Lightning Lure, except push away 10 feet
Frost Trap: Place a runic trap on a surface, which explodes and roots a single target for x rounds (save to resist). The trap lasts for x time.
Fire Trap: Place a runic trap on a surface, which explodes, damaging and igniting a single target for x rounds (save to resist). The trap lasts for x time.
Poison Trap: Place a runic trap on a surface, which explodes, poisoning a target for damage and afflicting them with the poisoned condition (Save to resist).
[/details]
Given his preparatory framework, with enough time, he could setup all three traps, place himself in a place where he could earthen combustion a target into another location where three more traps are placed, but this requires time.

Touch Aura Runes
When etching a rune and expending a spell slot, you can choose to make it a Touch Aura Rune.

When the Touch Aura Rune’s activation condition is triggered, the rune creates a slightly radiant aura in a 20 ft. radius sphere.

The aura lasts for 3 rounds per spell slot level expended.

You gain vision of the area within this aura.

You are able to deliver touch spells within this aura, regardless of your distance from the Touch Aura Rune.

Additionally, as an action, you can choose to impose one of the following conditions upon creatures inside the aura (subject to your spell Save DC): Blinded, Charmed, Deafened, Restrained. These conditions only affect the targets as long as they are inside the aura. If they leave the aura and re-enter it, they are subject to the spell Save DC again.

Intriguing. My spell allotment tends to have a lot of longer duration/cast time spells, or spells focused more on duration than on instantaneous, touch-like effects (such as most illusion spells). Could this be incorporated perhaps?

Robe of Deception

You have a plain looking robe with invisible runes drawn upon it. Features of the robe are as follows:

Weighs 5 lbs., AC 11 + Dex Mod.

This robe is considered magical.

Stealth: Once per long rest, you can choose to gain the benefit of either the Invisibility spell or the Greater Invisibility spell. This can only affect you.

Wispy Escape: If you are in danger of being instantly killed by physical means (a high fall, being crushed by a solid object, etc.), you gain the benefits of the spell Gaseous Form for 5 minutes. After this effect has ended, the Robe temporarily loses its magical effects and properties for 3 days.

This one I don’t have much to say about. I don’t feel it fits the character in a way that a normal magical item couldn’t (having an item with a once per day invisibility spell and once per day gaseous form, essentially). I’d be okay without this item if more could come of the staff.

[January 15, 2016 at 12:05 am]

Simple but good. I notice it says blade; I am guessing this is meant to be shaft. I like the simple quality of it. It adds that archaeologist’s touch. Staff’s damage (I’m guessing quarterstaff)?

Fixed the wording. The staff should have a damage value, I’ll add that in shortly.

What if any of the features allowed me to prepare more spells?

I’m pondering about this, see further below.

Previously, mana had been something recharged. Is this to bring it inline with other D&D mechanics?

Yes, and just for simplicity sake. In hindsight, it seemed a bit gimmicky to introduce a new resource system that can be replicated similarly with short rests between encounters. Then balance issues around each feature’s cost (on the mana system) is why I divided the features into “short rest” and “long rest” categories.

Could there be one which lowers casting times?

No.

Could Proxy be so that Cantrips don’t use a use?

That would make sense. I’ll add that in.

Is it possible to change Banishing Smite to something else that’s more Wizardy, such as the Banishment spell or something more like that (less damage and more utility-oriented)?

Yes, I had the Banishment idea in mind, just didn’t change from Banishing Smite. I’ve added this change.

How long does Otiluke’s last in this case (as per the spell or…)?

Yes, as per the spell.

What if it had a feature that, once per long rest, I could switch out a chunk or all of my prepared spells (Quicken Study), or at least do it in reduced time?

I’ll try to come up with something for this.

So this feature can only be used to inscribe spells from my spellbook? Could there be flavor text added that I have to chant some ancient words over the rune (adding a verbal component).

Yes and yes.

What if the staff granted new cantrips?

Yes, I’ll add some into the Mana Staff’s entry.

New Feature Proposal: Spell Contingency
Alongside preparing your daily spells, you also prepare an amount of contingency spells equal to your Proficiency Bonus.

• As an action, you can swap out your originally prepared spells for your contingency spells.

• Swapping in one contingency spell will replace two prepared spells of the same level. For example, a Level 1 contingency spell will replace two prepared Level 1 spells, when swapped in.

• After a short rest, you can re-place your prepared spells that were swapped out for a contingency spell, displacing the contingency spell from your prepared spell list

I went to check your spellbook to see what kinds of spells you had, but I noticed the sheer number of Bonus Studies spells you had, and the math just wasn’t adding up to 300g (even with the 1/2 cost for illusion spells). Is the listed gold cost outdated? Additionally, you have 17 spells (Level 1 and higher, excluding the 6 starting ones, not Bonus Study), when you are allowed 18 spells.

[January 15, 2016 at 1:31 am]

At some point, when talking with you, things got shifted around and you allowed me to purchase as many spells as I wanted. Should this be changed? I think what happened was I had so much gold left behind that I would’ve been immobilized with it but had no idea what to do with it and so I asked to be able to buy more spells. I can’t recall exactly, but that sounds… right?

Now that I don’t have armor or anything, I will have to relook over what I can buy (as my weight limits will be considerably freer). I may need to change my stats around as strength isn’t as big of a priority.

EDIT: When you made my armor my Legacy item, I gained back 1500 gp which weighed me down so much I didn’t know what to do, so I got your permission to buy more spells. I’m fairly certain that’s what happened.

What about the rune component and the robe?
[January 15, 2016 at 11:52 pm]

I thought that was the case with your Bonus Study spells but the gold cost does not accurately reflect the amount of them, which confused me.

If you want the robe, you can have it.

Rune components could be something I can incorporate into your Legacy feature, but it’d have to be in the future after I get some more time to think about it. Once you actually get it, your “collection” would be blank (so perhaps, you’d gain “rune components” as soon as you get your first rune for your “collection” to use to modify your spells).
[January 16, 2016 at 6:10 pm]

I thought that was the case with your Bonus Study spells but the gold cost does not accurately reflect the amount of them, which confused me.lordnewb

If you want the robe, you can have it.

Rune components could be something I can incorporate into your Legacy feature, but it’d have to be in the future after I get some more time to think about it. Once you actually get it, your “collection” would be blank (so perhaps, you’d gain “rune components” as soon as you get your first rune for your “collection” to use to modify your spells).

Remember that illusion spells cost half as much because of my tradition/focus.

Just as an item?

Okay, neato.

Do you mind if I consider a stat rework since strength is not as important?
[January 16, 2016 at 12:27 am]

You did give us 2000gp
Here is the section from the other thread.

Starting with 2,000gp
Quarter Staff 2sp (4 lb)
Spellbook 50gp (3 lb)
Backpack 2gp (5 lb)
Bedroll 1gp (7 lb)
Traveler’s Clothes 2gp (4lb)
Calligrapher’s Supplies 10gp (5 lb)
a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not been able to answer
Money Spent on Spells: 1850gp
@thwright

Total Gold Spent: 1915.2gp
[January 17, 2016 at 12:10 am]