New Action: Disarm, version 2

The DMG reads the following for Disarm.

A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target’s grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item.

The attacker has disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller.

I read a few discussions on Disarm and came across the following.

Given the above, and my general distaste for Disarm as it is (after seeing it used in combat), I would suggest the following changes to Disarm.

Disarm

A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target’s grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.

The attacker has disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller.

If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item. The attacker may elect to send the item flying to land in a random space adjacent to the target (DMs choice) by repeating the contest and winning. Alternatively, the attacker may elect to catch the item by repeating the contest using Dexterity (Acrobatics). Catching the item is a free action.

Disarm a Downed Foe

When you reduce a creature to 0 HP in combat, you may instead choose to disarm that creature and leave them at 1 HP. The attacker can make this choice the instant the damage is dealt. the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item.

The attacker may elect to send the item flying to land in a random space adjacent to the target (DMs choice) by repeating the contest and winning. Alternatively, the attacker may elect to catch the item by repeating the contest using Dexterity (Acrobatics). Catching the item is a free action.

Disarming Attack (Battle Master Maneuver)

When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object flies to land in a space adjacent to the creature (Player’s choice). It has no force and causes no harm to bystanders.

See Fighter, Rework for modified Battle Master maneuvers.

NOTE: Please read this post New Action: Free Action Use Object, Clarification for further discussion on picking up a dropped object, which also is heavily based on the ENWorld post.

I enjoy this Disarm attack. I find it strange that the original version was considered an issue on the basis that picking up a weapon is free. I would think that picking up a weapon could cost the same amount of “action” as drawing a weapon or changing weapons, because the act of picking up a weapon is technically the same as arming oneself (drawing a weapon).

I think the issue is that the disarm is a waste since the weapon could be picked up for free.

Right. I don’t know why picking up a weapon would be free though.

In the hyperlinked forum post, they say that picking up a weapon is free, and yeah, that would devalue Disarm entirely. But I don’t think it is free to begin with. So the issue becomes a non-issue.

I think they are referring to the Free Use Object characters get during a Move/Action once per turn.

Free Use Object? Isn’t Use an Object an action?

I detail it on the Rules page. See Use Object. Note that that action is modified for the expanded free action/interact with object I listed here on the forums and contains homebrew. (See this post for reference: New Action: Free Action Use Object, Clarification)
https://redemption.studio/rpgs/rules/

This post details it, too:

Interact with object

Note: Bonus actions are limited in availability (something has to grant you a bonus action) and reactions are typically often contingent on something else happening. But you can always move, take an action, and interact with an object.

I don’t have a PHB handy.