New Class: Collector

This is a work in progress, it will be cleaned up later.

Class name: Collector
Description: Wizard/Sorcerer savant skilled in the manipulation of magic but not the casting of it.
Hit Die: d6
Primary Ability: Intelligence
Saving Throw Prof: Int & Wis
Weapon and Armor Prof: Daggers, quarterstaffs, light crossbows, light armor.
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per Collector level after 1st

Long Description: As a Wizard/Sorcerer the Collector is an utter failure, incapable of casting nearly all spells. However the Collector is counted a savant when it comes to understanding and thus manipulating the magic of others. The Collector, like Wizards, seek knowledge but due to their unique capabilities they tend to gravitate towards learning more about their own abilities and how to manipulate the abilities of others. In particular this quest for knowledge has lead to the ability to capture, contain, and store the spells of other casters in objects. This unique ability has lead to the Collector developing a tendency for collecting spells stored in tokens and other items. The Collector is a master in the use of magic items and the creation of minor magic items.

Class spells: (some of these spells may not be accessible till later levels, just noting them here)

Note: Items created with Store Magic or Capture Magic will likely have a limit, similar to spell slots.

Store Magic: Allows for the creation of a single use magic item that cannot be recharged, the item can be given to others. Sorcerer/Wizard/Bard magic can be stored up to level 2 in common items that do not need crafting or specific materials (this includes cantrips). Sorcerer/Wizard/Bard level 2-8 require a crafted item of increased quality and price (will expound on this later). All holy spells up to level 8 require increasingly better quality and more expensive crafted items or gems. Additionally the Collector must be within one alignment step of the deity that is granting the holy spell. 9th level Holy spells cannot be collected short of a gift from a deity/DM powers. 9th level arcane spells require a ritual casting of Store Magic as well as the component cost (will expound later).

Capture Magic: With a successful DC check (to be determined later) the Collector can attempt to capture the spell of a hostile person or creature, Material component costs are the same as Spell Store. Alignment requirements are the same as Spell Store. The item created is a single use item that cannot be recharged.

Dispell Magic: Same as the PH Dispell Magic.

Counterspell: Same as the PH Counterspell.

Strip Magic: (possible, this would be a higher level spell and DC has not been picked yet.) After an enemy caster has cast a spell the Collector can drain all remaining available spell slots of the level that the last spell belonged to. In example, an enemy Wizard casts the 2nd level spell Blindness/Deafness, the Collector in your party casts Strip Magic and succeeds on his check rolls, the enemy Wizard fails their saves. Now the enemy Wizard no longer has any level 2 spell slots available. This would be 1 action.

Abilities:
Channel Spell: If the collector has stored a spell in a weapon they can choose to cast the spell as a touch spell on a successful attack.

Mana Flow: Once a day (maybe more at higher levels) due to their knowledge of the inner workings of magic the Collector can restore a number of random spell slots to random levels based on the below equation.

(1d4)d8
If any of the d8 roll exceed your Collector level then apply the outcome of the roll to the below
Outcome - (8 - {Collector level})

The if the outcome of either of the above equations exceed the maximum spell level of the receiving caster then their highest available depleted spell slot is restored.

Ritual Casting: At higher levels Collectors can cast spells with the ritual tag as a ritual.

Book Burner: (this would require more work on the DM’s part if the spellbook in question is part of loot) The Collector gains the ability to use the spells stored in spellbooks, each spell is consumed and cannot be used again from that book. This allows the Collector to claim spellbooks from Wizards and use them as a magic item to cast spells similar to items created with the Store Magic spell.

Favored School: (not 100% sure on this one, might cut it) Due to personal preference, knack, or over exposure the Collector has found that they work well with a particular school of magic. This allows them to gain 2 uses from any item created with the Store Magic spell. Additionally when using Dispel Magic or Counterspell against spells of their favored school the Collector may add their proficiency bonus to their checks and saves.

Been thinking this one over a little here and a little there, @mesoterra, and we have discussed it a little already. I mentioned how it reminds of the Artificer, 3.5e’s Spell Thief, as well as some of the 3.5e prestige classes, such as the Occult Slayer. I do think a possible archetype could answer portions of the class, but as is the class sounds too dependent on others and too gimmicky. (By this I mean it would either thrive among lots of spellcasters or face a hard time and useless abilities.)

I also began toying with the idea a little more and began thinking of the Enchanter, not a typical D&D wizard enchanter but more of a Wow profession enchanter (i.e someone who enchants magic items). I also got ideas of the class as being a witch doctor, or someone who breaks enchantments (typical D&D sense) or effects by spirits. It then struck me through your idea of someone who understands primal magic and these two aforementioned ideas for a slightly different base concept. The character is someone who has an engineer’s or mechanic’s mind for spells. I thus began postulating what I have given one of three names to try and capture the idea: the Enchanter, the Assembler, or the Arcanist.

This idea brings the thought that this is a character who doesn’t cast spells (or maximally as a 1/3rd level caster (max spell level 4) and instead either works to dispel (as the witch doctor) or enchant (as the enchanter) persons, objects, and places. The arcanist seemed a fitting title as one who studies arcane magic and other occult things (such as spirits) and uses that knowledge to his own benefit. Some arcanists might have a knack for these things and can just uses their talent for such things. (I thought of spell materials, or reagents, and compared then to a chef who can make something exquisite without the recipe.) The arcanist could have three archetypes off the top of my head: witch doctor, a support oriented role, the assembler, another support oriented role, or the collector, a more counter-offensive role. The witch doctor would focus on healing and cursing, the assembler on crafting, and the collector on “collecting” information on how to foil a spellcaster and use his arcane knowledge to take down would-be foes.