New Fighter Archetype: Warrior

The new Warrior Fighter archetype has been pushed to the main post (2016/11/09). The Warrior focuses on hampering his foes and weakening them before he strikes them with a harder weapon hit. His allies will receive benefits from his crippling efforts as he works to adjust the situations at hand.

Level Ability
3 Harry, Martial Exploit
7 Quick Witted, Guerilla
10 Dangerous
15 Merciless, Pounce
18 Breaker
Harry  You are skilled in harassing, intimidating, and distracting your foes through shouting, insults, fearsome displays, and the general threat of your intimidating presence.  If your foe or foes are aware of you and you are not hidden, while the foe or foes are within 30 feet of you, and while you are conscious you can harry them. When you harry one or more foes, you can use a bonus action to select three 5-foot by 5-foot squares within your range that you can see. These squares are treated by all opponents as difficult terrain.  Opponents who leave the range of your Harry ability and re-enter the area are still susceptible to the same squares as long as you are present. The squares cease to be difficult terrain if you lose consciousness.  On subsequent turns, you can use a bonus action to change the three squares designated by harry.

Martial Exploit
 You are adept at taking advantage of harried foes. If an opponent begins or ends their turn or moves through a space designated by your Harry ability, whether they are immune to difficult terrain or not, your next successful weapon attack against them made by the end of your next turn deals 1d8 bonus damage against them.
 Additionally, a foe who has been struck by a weapon attack empowered by Martial Exploit suffers a -2 Armor Class and Saving throw penalty until the end your next turn. This penalty does not stack with additional hits by Martial Exploit from you or another Fighter, and any one single weapon attack can only benefit from a single application of Martial Explot. Thus if a foe moves through multiple harried squares, you still only deal 1d8 bonus damage.
 If you miss your attack, your Martial Exploit is wasted and your foe must trigger Martial Exploit again.

Quick Witted
 Ready for whatever situation and quick on your feet, you can use the Use Object action as a bonus action, and you can equip or remove an equipped shield as a bonus action.
 Furthermore, your ability to harry your foes strengthens. When a foe moves through a square designated by Harry or begins or ends their turn in a square designated by Harry, you can use your Reaction to make an opportunity attack against them.

Guerilla
 You never suffer disadvantage on stealth checks while wearing armor.

Dangerous
 Your presence in combat is unmistakable. You can designate up to 5 squares with Harry.
 Additionally, your panache allows you to kick your foe when they’re down. When an opponent triggers Harry, your next two attacks against a harried foe benefit from Martial Exploit. The Martial Exploit Armor Class and Saving Throw penalty is now -3.

Pounce
 The pursuit of your foes requires a attention and readiness. When a foe moves through a square designated by Harry or begins or ends their turn in a square designated by Harry, you can make an immediate 15-foot long leap towards them. At the end of the leap, you can make a melee or thrown opportunity attack against them as a reaction. This ability recharges on a short or long rest.

Merciless
 Your ability to take advantage of a foe’s poor placement allows you to strike them. Any foe who begins or ends their turn or moves through any difficult terrain, whether created by your Harry ability or not, is considered harried by you until the start of their next turn, lest they trigger the ability again.
 Opponents immune to difficult terrain cannot be considered harried by this ability and must walk through a harried square instead in order to be susceptible to Martial Exploit.
 Additionally, your opportunity attacks now benefit from Martial Exploit.

Breaker
 Allowing your allies to take down your foe is your secret weapon. You can designate up to 7 squares with Harry. Martial Exploit’s penalty rises to -4 to Armor Class and Saving Throws.

Previous Versions

Warrior, Alpha, v1.0

The idea for this Fighter archetype was a replacement for Champion that felt more rewarding on level up. The game play style is opposite of a Warlord; the Warrior focuses on crippling and hampering his foes so his allies gain extra benefits. The Warrior is focused on mobility.

Level: Bonus

3: Lambaste, Fleet-footed and Quick Witted

7: Raid and Plunder

10: Land’s Stride

15: Mobile

18: Rend

Lambaste: Beginning at level 3, when a Warrior successfully hits an opponent with a weapon attack that has advantage, your opponent becomes lambasted. You do not need to have advantage against the foe if you have an ally within 5 feet of the opponent.
A lambasted foe suffers a -1 penalty to their armor class and their base land speed is reduced by 10 feet (a foe’s movement cannot be reduced below 5 feet by Lambaste) for 1 round until the start of your next turn. At level 10, Lambaste causes your foe to suffer a -2 penalty to their armor class and their base land speed is reduced by 20 feet (a foe’s movement cannot be below 5 feet by Lambaste).
Additionally, you can choose to apply one of the following penalties.
Weaken: A weakened foe has Disadvantage on their next Strength or Dexterity saving throw, skill check, or ability check made within 1 round.
Exposed: A crippled foe who suffers from exposed is in danger from the Warrior’s allies. If a Warrior’s allies strike the foe within 1 round of being afflicted with exposed with an attack or spell requiring an attack roll that deals damage, the target takes an additional 1d8 damage. At each level you gain an additional Warrior level, exposed deals an additional 1d8 damage, to a maximum of 5d8 at level 18.

Fleet-footed and Quick Witted: Beginning at level 3, a Warrior can use their bonus action to perform a Dash, Disengage, or the Use Object action. Additionally, a Warrior can equip or remove a shield as a bonus action instead of as an action.

Raid and Plunder: Beginning at level 7, a Warrior gains proficiency in the Stealth skill. Additionally, a Warrior never suffers disadvantage on Stealth checks for wearing armor.

Land’s Stride: Beginning at level 10, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard.
In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such as those created by the entangle spell.

Mobile: Beginning at level 15, a Warrior no longer provokes opportunity attacks from foes that you attack, whether you hit or miss.

Rend: Beginning at level 18, your successive attacks against a single foe increase your damage against the target. Each additional attack you make against a single foe deals an additional +1 damage, stacking for each successful hit, to a maximum of +5. If you attack another target, this bonus resets to +0.
As an example, a Warrior fights the same foe and has hit them three times. His next, or fourth, attack deals +3 damage against the target. If he hits the target again, his fifth attack would deal +4 damage.

EDITS:
2017/02/15: Minor fixes.

I think that this class idea is suffering from a non centralized identity. It feels like its a fighter trying to be a ranger, not the opposite of the warlord. If you wish for a plundering class that fights well in melee and is focused on raids and swift and unexpected destruction, I recommend instead working that idea into a martial ranger archetype.

The strong suit of this class, and where its identity comes from should be in being the opposite of the warlord. While the warlord seeks to lead and enhance his allies on the battlefield, the warrior should seek to control and limit what his enemies can do. To this end I propose the following instead:

Suggestion

3rd Level - Sundering Strikes

7th Level - Challenging Shout

10th Level - Ring of Pain

15th Level - Rout

18th Level - Regeneration

Sundering Strikes: At 3rd level, when you make a weapon attack you can choose to target a specific part of your enemy, taking a penalty to the attack roll, and gaining additional effects if you hit.

Leg: -2, The walking speed of the creature is halved until the damage you dealt is healed. If you hit a creature with this effect a number of times equal to the amount of legs it has, it is immobilized until at least half the legs are healed.
Head: -4, A successful strike to the head disorients and stuns the target unless they succeed on a constitution saving throw.
Wing:-2, Hitting a flying creature with this strike causes it to immediately plummet 20ft. If you hit a creature with this effect a number of times equal to the amount of wings it has, its fly speed is halved until the damage is healed.
Heart: -6, Hitting with this attack causes an automatic critical
Weapon:-3, When you hit with this attack the target takes no damage, but instead their weapon is damaged, causing a -1 to their damage rolls. This effect stacks with itself to a max of -5.
Armor:-2, When you hit this attack the target takes no damage, unless they have natural armor. The targets armor is rent by your blows, lowering their AC by 1, This effect cannot reduce a targets AC to below 10+ Their Dex Mod

If the target is huge or larger the attack penalty is halved, but it takes two hits to impose the effects of the attacks.

Challenging Shout: As a bonus action you can issue a challenge to all enemy creatures within 30ft of you. The affected creatures must make a wisdom saving throw, on a failed save a creature has disadvantage on attack rolls against any target but you for 1 minute. You can use this ability a number of times equal to 1+your charisma modifier (minimum 1). You regain all uses of this feature after a short or long rest.

Ring of Pain: As an action you choose a location within range of your current weapon. If you attack an enemy within a 15ft radius circle around the chosen point, your attacks deal an additional weapon damage die. The effect lasts for 1 minute. You can use this ability once per long rest. Additionally, If an enemy creature affected by your challenging shout is within your ring of pain, they must attack you while you both remain in the rings area of effect.

Rout: When you kill an enemy creature, you can use your reaction to make all enemies within 10 ft of the slain creature make a wisdom saving throw. On a failed save they become frightened of you for 1 minute. At the end of each of their turns a frightened creature may attempt the save again, on a success the frightened condition ends.

Regeneration: See PHB under the champion archetype.

I don’t know about the targeting body parts idea. That has always been a roleplay thing and not a mechanical thing.

One idea I thought the Warrior would be differentiated from other archetypes is mobility. We did pilfer Land’s Stride from the Druid/Ranger, but that is about it. It actually borrows the Rogue’s Cunning Action and the Swashbuckler’s mobility, or the feat.

I am not perfectly satisfied with the archetype, but the aim was a mobile exploiter, or a mobile disable-er. The idea originally came from LOTRO’s Warden.

Rather than the immovable object, this was supposed to be a mobile tank. The Lambaste ability is a semi-port from an attempted 3.5/pathfinder class I had been working.

New proposal for the Warrior. I tried to come up with a relatively unique mechanic for it. Let me hear your thoughts!

Warrior, take 2
Level Ability
3 Harry, Martial Exploit, Guerilla
7 Quick Witted
10 Dangerous
15 Merciless, Pounce
18 Breaker
**Harry**  You are skilled in harassing, intimidating, and distracting your foes through shouting, insults, fearsome displays, and the general threat of your intimidating presence.  If your opponent(s) is aware of you and you are not hidden, and while the opponent(s) is within the greater distance of 15 feet or your weapon's base range increment, you can harry them. When you harry a foe, you can use a bonus action to select three 5-foot by 5-foot squares within your range that you can see, causing opponents to treat these squares as as difficult terrain.  On subsequent turns, you can use a bonus action to change the three squares designated by harry.

Martial Exploit
 You are adept at taking advantage of harried foes. If an opponent begins or ends their turn or moves through a space designated by your Harry ability, whether they are immune to difficult terrain or not, your next successful weapon attack against them made by the end of your next turn deals 1d8 bonus damage against them.
 Additionally, a foe who has been struck by a weapon attack empowered by Martial Exploit suffers a -2 Armor Class and Saving throw penalty until the end your next turn. This penalty does not stack with additional hits by Martial Exploit from you or another Fighter, and any one single weapon attack can only benefit from a single application of Martial Explot. Thus if a foe moves through multiple harried squares, you still only deal 1d8 bonus damage.
 If you miss your attack, your Martial Exploit is wasted and your foe must trigger Martial Exploit again.

Guerilla
 You never suffer disadvantage on stealth checks while wearing armor.

Quick Witted
 Ready for whatever situation and quick on your feet, you can use the Use Object action as a bonus action, and you can equip or remove an equipped shield as a bonus action.
 Furthermore, your ability to harry your foes strengthens. When a foe moves through a square designated by Harry or begins or ends their turn in a square designated by Harry, you can use your Reaction to make an opportunity attack against them.

Dangerous
 Your presence in combat is unmistakable. You can designate up to 5 squares with Harry.
 Additionally, your panache allows you to kick your foe when their down. When an opponent triggers Harry, your next two attacks against a harried foe benefit from Martial Exploit. The Martial Exploit Armor Class and Saving Throw penalty is now -3.

Pounce
 The pursuit of your foes requires a attention and readiness. When a foe moves through a square designated by Harry or begins or ends their turn in a square designated by Harry, you can make an immediate 15-foot long leap towards them. At the end of the leap, you can make a melee or thrown opportunity attack against them as a reaction. This ability recharges on a short or long rest.

Merciless
 Your ability to take advantage of a foe’s poor placement allows you to strike them. All foes in any difficult terrain, whether created by your Harry ability or not, are considered harried by you.
 Your opportunity attacks now benefit from Martial Exploit.

Breaker
 Allowing your allies to take down your foe is your secret weapon. You can designate up to 7 squares with Harry. Martial Exploit’s penalty rises to -4 to Armor Class and Saving Throws.

I like this identity for the warrior. It has a nice uniqueness to it.

Conceptually, it seems sound, though I think number tuning ought to be explored and tested.

Number tweaking is a definite must. I was aiming for freedom of use but with a limited trigger to control use.

Updated the text in various places to try and clarify the language. Tried to consider the number tweaking as well—I don’t think the damage of Martial Exploit would be the concern but the armor class and saving throw penalty would be.

Perhaps Harrying should be limited in some way, as right now it simply requires a visible space within its range, an opponent to be aware of you, and a bonus action?

Any thoughts on the power?

Which version is the one being reviewed?

I’ve updated the main post with the latest version. The old has been stored in a spoiler/details section.

What immediately strikes me is the wording of Harry.

Are “Harry” squares only considered as such for a single enemy, or for all enemies?

If Harry squares apply to all enemies, why require an opponent to enter a specific (and incredibly varied) range? Would seem more intuitive to allow the Warrior to designate Harry squares within a set (perhaps scaling with level?) range.

If Harry squares apply to only a single enemy, that could complicate combat.

I tried to clarify the language in my last pass through it; it is supposed to apply to all enemies within range which can hear the Warrior. I will see about reworking the language.

The range was to basically say either for melee combat or for ranged combat. The thought was a ranged warrior might shoot arrows at his enemies’ feet to deter them from a square or scare them, which a melee character couldn’t do.

Otherwise, I might suggest a 30-foot or 60-foot range maximum.

EDIT: Updated the wording to try and clarify and reorganized some abilities or added additional details.

So after taking some more time to look at this, I like the thematic of the archetype: a frightening, fearless raider of sorts.

However, I’m not a big fan of the mechanical implementation of the thematic. While all the features in the level progression work together well, I think it’s quite restricting for the player of this archetype. That is to say, it’s too feast/famine for the player.

When an opponent positions poorly, they get hit hard, but when they don’t position poorly, the player does not have access to a lot of their tools. While the archetype works very well in close-quarter combat, that should come as a strength, rather than a “requirement”.

Essentially, I think for the Warrior archetype to really become something compelling and effective, the player of the archetype needs more agency in using their class features, and the class features could be simpler in terms of how they translate into gameplay mechanics.

I think those are valid concerns. I can definitely see what you mean by feast or famine. Likely that arose from the abilities having unlimited use and might suggest the need for some to be usable in all situations.

Originally this class was designed as a slightly beefier rogue and more mobile fighter. One of the things @eisdrachen said was to set the class up as a ranger archetype which may be more suitable given the goal of mobile and beef, which the ranger has both. I could see this becoming its own class as well, a new martial only class.

Surely the abilities would need to be made more powerful but not as freely usable. Which direction do you think?

Revamped fighter archetype, redesigned to a Ranger archetype, or a brand new class?

Should it be a class, I would likely call it the Warden after LoTRO, but 4e did have a tanking specific class called the Warden, so a different name might be in order. Warrior was also the NPC class name from 3.5e. This route would certainly provide the most room to explore lots of new mechanics.

This may be better as a non-spellcasting Ranger. However, the Ranger gains Spellcasting at Level 2 with 2 spells known up to Level 1, so that may be good enough to give them. Just restrict any further spellcast learning, I’d suppose.

If we decide to put this into a Ranger archetype, this could also fulfill the non-spellcasting, “natural” mount-riding warriors that you had proposed at one point. True, non-magical, outlander-type peoples who have a martial prowess of their own (not on the level of a Fighter), living wild and free, have the potential to be free-roaming raiders (but unlike Barbarians).

I think combining that natural outlander archetype with this Warrior archetype, and making it a non-spellcasting Ranger would be a pretty cohesive thematic.

Maybe we would call this archetype the Nomad? Or in the language of the Ranger Revised, Conclave of the Nomad?

Personally I don’t want to make it itself be a nonspellcasting archetype. That would be its own option. I suppose it could use spells to fuel abilities.

I could get behind it being a new Conclave. The question would be what sort of abilities should it have? I took the mobile tank and gave it weakening moves for the Warrior. The title would give a more exploration feel rather than mobile tank.

I wasn’t aware that it was supposed to be a mobile tank, as the initial description does not necessarily lend an idea to a mobile tank, but more to a disabler/exploiter. From previous discussions, did seem like you wanted the Warrior to be the pinnacle of Outlander type fighters, which would fit well with the thematic of nomadic warriors.

As far as abilities go, I think the idea of the current abilities listed are a good match, but the mechanics could change.

For example, perhaps Harry could be a Bonus Action intimidate in an area of effect (max # for enemies affected?). Perhaps, for enemies who fail to save against the intimidate, can only move towards the Nomad at half movement. Then the effects of Martial Exploit could take effect on a successful attack against an intimidated enemy. Keeping Quick Witted and Guerilla would be appropriate.

Then, Dangerous could cause you to affect more enemies with the intimidate, and keeps the same benefits to Martial Exploit.

For Pounce, what if this can be triggered if an intimidated enemy attacks someone other than the Nomad?

If we are turning this into a Nomad, then should they get proficiency on Animal Handling checks with regard to mounts, and maybe throw in some small benefits that emulate parts of the Mobile Combatant feat?

Actually, the way you just described this made me think it should be a Barbarian path. While raging, the Nomad can intimidate foes and do stuff.

The idea was pulled from the Lord class and that custom class I never finished; both were mobile tanks. I don’t know if I’d say pinnacle outlander, but I definitely thought disabler/exploiter with some martial beef. I could see a Path of the nomad using the intimidation functions above for Barbarian. What do you think of that?

Making this a Path for Barbarians, I feel, would outclass the Path of the Berserker. Path of the Berserker already has an Intimidating Presence which is a single-target frighten, and Retaliation which is a reaction-based attack after taking damage.

It depends on the action economy and benefits when compared to Path of the Berserker. Path of the Berserker just naturally feels a little dull to play, and introducing Path of the Nomad for the Barbarian may end up being better than Path of the Berserker in so many ways.

We do have the three new Barbarian paths they introduced. We could look at making sure it doesn’t outclass Berserker by making Nomad not the damage dealing archetype by using those three to help balance it. The main thing would be most of the abilities have to be present only while raging.

This though might argue that the post has now veered away from its original intent of making a fighter (or ranger, or even rogue) mobile tanking class. Rogue could be fun by granting it medium armor and shields, or at least shields. It would already have mobility and a vast swath of defensive abilities. Harry/Martial Exploit could apply on sneak attack. It could receive extra attack as a bonus as well.