New Sorcerous Origin: Forgeborn

The Forgeborn Sorcerer has the magic inherent to a mighty smith’s molten metal flowing through his blood. His magic derives from either being born of such an arcane smith himself or came alight by the utter power of magic infusing the forge’s product upon the anvil. Forgeborn have inherent knacks for crafting, creation based magic, and feel called to wield, swing, and don the goods of their craft.
Common in dwarven lands, the Forgeborn are known for taking a community’s smithing to higher heights and producing magical items for their use. Some are even picked out by a clan’s thane for producing royal goods.

The Forgeborn are products of iron, steel, and arcane magic. Forgeborn Sorcerer’s receive the following benefits.

Level Bonus
1 Prodigy, Anvil's Companion
6 Tempering Touch

Prodigy

You gain proficiency in two tools of your choosing. Additionally, you gain proficiency with any weapon you craft. This proficiency does not extend to similar weapons which you did not craft.

Anvil’s Companion

One weapon you create becomes animated by your innate magical ability. The mighty forge infuses your creation with false life, allowing it to float and move on your command. The weapon floats within 15 feet of you. If your turn ends and the weapon is further than 15 feet away from you, it falls to the ground. You do not need to maintain concentration for the weapon to float. The weapon can be attacked and possibly sundered. An Anvil’s Companion weapon that is sundered can be repaired twice as fast as normal as your magic pulls the shattered pieces together to reform the weapon.
The weapon can move at a speed of 20 feet on your turn. As a bonus action, you can make a melee spell attack roll using your Charisma modifier. On a successful hit, the weapon deals your Charisma bonus as damage.
You can change your Anvil’s Companion weapon by finishing a long rest and performing a ritual to enchant a new weapon. The previous weapon loses the benefits of Anvil’s Companion.
At level six, your weapon’s damage increases to 1d8 + your Charisma bonus.
At level 14, your weapon’s damage increases to 2d8 + your Charisma bonus and the weapon can float within 30 feet of you and moves at a speed of 30 feet.

Tempering Touch

Your touch allows you to enchant a weapon, shield, or suit of armor. For one minute, the weapon gains a +1 enhancement bonus. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier and can enchant multiple items. You regain uses of Tempering Touch after completing a long rest.
At level 14, the bonus increases to +2.

More to come…

What is the “ideal form” of this archetype? Perhaps a smithing student who worked closely with a wizard enchanter?

As an example to what kind of answer I am looking for, when I think of “ideal form” for the other archetypes, Draconic Origin would be someone with dragon’s blood inside him them, and Wild Magic Origin would be someone who was plane touched by the plane of Limbo or got lost in a turbulent arcane storm.

I want to obviously try to keep that somewhat loose for interpretation to fill as many character concepts as we can, but I would think ideal forms would be a student of an enchanter or some other magic smith. The ultimate idea is to provide a melee version of the sorcerer, similar to the SCAG Wizard Bladesinger. What that looks like I’m not sure, but the idea came to me as being a magical smith. Ideas are welcome for its creation!

I struggle to come up with ideas for the Forgeborn concept, because there doesn’t seem to be a strong identity to it.

Draconic Origin’s identity is tied to being a dragon and having elemental boons based on what color of dragon.

Wild Mage’s identity is tied to random chance.

Forgeborn is…a crafter? But they’re a sorcerer as well? What precisely is the source of their magic, and then how does that source manifest itself within their magic?

What is a strong identity to tie together the concept?

I suppose with all things fantasy, magic can dwell in a wide variety of ways in all sorts of things. Magic takes on the role of a pantheistic religion in that way; magic is everywhere and in everything.

Running with that general idea then, the forgeborn was to be a sorcerer whose magic came from the magical power of crafting. As he swings his hammer, the forgeborn suddenly realizes his smithing wasn’t merely by human power, but something else carried the head and from its clanging arose magic on his anvil.

Perhaps magic calls to the forgeborn, crying out for its essence to be infused into weapon, staff, or armor, and at the same time empowering the individual to do so with magical might. In this way, the sorcerer’s magic resides within him and his creations. These master crafters could be reflected in the Races of Stone Battlesmith prestige class as an example for flavor. While note explicitly a spell caster, the idea of a mighty craftsman is.

The forgeborn is magic craftsman, empowered either by his own skill or the powers that be. Someone has to create all those magic items; why should the artificer be the only one?

With the above in mind, I think a strong thematic to objects and items would be great.

For instance, spell-like abilities, such as the Magic Weapon spell. Or at higher levels, Animate Objects.

Definitely need some artisan tool proficiencies tied into it. Either, 2 tool proficiencies or a feature similar to a Knowledge-domain Cleric where they can have proficiency with any tool set for a short duration.

Maybe they could have a stronger tie to using a weapon than the other Sorcerer archetypes. What comes to mind for this is a permanent weapon with the effects of the Eldritch Knight’s ritual weapon, or emulating the effects of the Spiritual Weapon spell.

Lots of room to explore things if we can establish what the archetype does, how their thematic translates into gameplay.
Do they enchant items and weapons to do their bidding?
Do they empower their allies?
Do they craft things during their downtime to help them in their journey?
Are they journeymen who lend their skills and help struggling towns and cities?

I would think tool proficiencies right off the bat would make a lot of sense.

Level 1

Prodigy

You are naturally talented with two artisans’ tools of your choice and gain proficiency with them.

Simple, effective, and adds some exploration/roleplaying utilities to the kit right off the bat.

I would say for this archetype I wouldn’t want to repeat the EK and lock’s magical weapon attunements but aim for something a little different, though recycling isn’t a bad thing.

I like the idea of animated objects; spiritual weapon seems more fitting. I like the idea of this being a self-less archetype for the sorcerer, though the theme of the class doesn’t lend well to that. Focusing the archetype around an animated object/weapon is interesting, but perhaps better suited for an origin focused on telekinesis or psionics.

I would say those are roleplaying ideas for the archetype which could be expressed in the fluff of the archetype. Both of those are solid ideas for the archetype.

Wbat about light armor proficiency and proficiency with a single martial weapon, as well as any weapon they craft themselves? They know their forged works?

From there, the archetype would need something semi-unique.

Just as a form of correction, the Prodigy feature should come at Level 3, since it’s a Sorcerous Origin.

Perhaps the Forgeborn has a single martial weapon proficiency, and their weapon is their familiar? Telepathic communication, deliver touch spells, etc. And as a bonus action, have it move and make an attack, as Spiritual Weapon?

I still think having the ability to cast the Magic Weapon spell a #times/day w/o expending a spell slot would fit the thematic and help the class be a bit more selfless, since it can be cast on an ally’s weapon. Could be a valuable boon for a party in case they encounter a hostile creature that has resistance to nonmagical weapons. Could also make sense that they would have the Identify spell as a ritual cast. Not necessarily a Ritual Casting feature, but just being able to use Identify an unlimited # of times/day with a long casting time.

Perhaps to expand the archetype without intrinsically tying it to a crafting system, what if we gave it a list of pre-determined magical items that the player can choose from at certain levels, just like Warlock Invocations? Say, a list of 16-17 different magical items, some have a particular level requirement, and each magic item fulfills a particular purpose? And, if the item is lost or destroyed, the Forgeborn can spend ‘x’ amount of gold and ‘x’ amount of time re-creating or re-enchanting a similar item to procure a duplicate of the previous item? If the previous item is found after a duplicate is made, then the previous item loses its enchantment? I think this could give the Forgeborn a “crafting” feel, but without having to tie the class into a custom, homebrew game system.

Why would this be the case? Origin features come at 1, 6, 14, and 18.

nvm

was under the impression that all archetypes begin at level 3.

yeah level 1 for too proficiencies

Here are some sample proposed early game mechanics.

Level 1

Prodigy

Two tool proficiencies
Gain martial weapon proficiency with any weapon you create

Animate Weapon

Gain the ability to animate a single chosen weapon you are proficient with. This weapon floats within 15 feet of you or else drops to ground, and can move 20 feet and make a melee spell attack roll as a bonus action. On success, deal Cha mod damage of weapon’s type. Doesn’t need concentration. If dropped, the weapon can animate once within 15 feet. At level 6, deals 1d8+cha mod.

Level 6

Forge Touch

You empower a weapon, shield, or suit of armor you touch. For 1 minute, the item gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage or to armor class. You can use this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. Replenishes after a long rest. At level 14 this bonus increases to +2.

Thoughts?

For Animate Weapon, I’d say for Level 6, it could deal 1d6+cha mod in damage, but then have it upgrade at Level 11 (or whatever is the next logical “step” for the archetype) to deal the higher value between 1d8+cha mod or the weapon’s damage die + cha mod.

I like Forge Touch as is.

What do you think about the invocation style “craft” Magic Items idea?

In speaking of the damage, I was wondering what you thought about making it perform two attacks but at a smaller amount? 1d8 would make it in line with level 2 Spiritual weapon. I debated having it deal the weapon’s die but I thought it would make it so that we ask “then why not always greatsword”? If we had it say, turn into 2 attacks at level 6 dealing Charisma damage, we could bump it to 1d6+Cha at a higher level.

Or, we could allow different classes of weapons to do different things (example: thrown weapons can attack at range and return to their spot) instead of just giving more damage. We could look at making it so that different classes of weapons grant different passive bonuses (ex. Swords allow cantrips to be cast from either the caster or weapon’s location, polearms increase ranged cantrips range by 20 feet, etc.). Pursuing something like this would give it more of a familiar feel. We could even say: when you cast Find Familiar, you can cast it on your weapon, allowing it to gain benefits from the spell.

Should archetype perhaps gain some sort of “when you casts this type of spells” bonus? Lots of the sorcerer archetypes have them.

I do like the items idea. I was thinking about having us introduce it at level 14 as a significant boost to the desirability to play the class and as an exploration bonus.