On Residential City Streets, People Are More Important Than Parking

I was converted in part out of a political ideology and as part of that move, I took a two-year political hiatus in which I neither read nor watched the news. (This all followed a destructive act of anger on my part and God’s gracious humbling.) Following my return from political abstention, I slowly began to digest the news, wary of becoming enraged, concerned that I did not know what my fellow man was experiencing around me. (During my news-fast, which lasted from roughly fall 2010 to 2012, the Syrian civil war broke out and I was unaware for most of the two years.) While this proved helpful in calming my temper, it could not last.

Since then I have sought reliable sources of thought on society, politics, culture, etc. A recent addition to my source of such thinking has been The Public Discourse, which I have enjoyed reading for its longer form discussions of political topics. Their tone is not vitriolic, the content is meaningful and thought through, and their writers come from a variety of backgrounds. While I may not agree with everything they say, I enjoy reading their viewpoints and considering the discussions which they bring to the table.

This article focuses on the peace that can be found in a place like New York City through the construction of public parks and the removal of public parking spaces. A wonderful read offering much to think about and analyze!