[PROPOSAL] New Background: Executive Chef

You’ve dedicated your life to the culinary arts. You know what foods go well together and how to create nutritionally healthy dishes. Gathering and combining herbs and spices, filleting cuts of meat, and preparing edible plant foods, are all a part of your work. Foods from around the world have met both your cutting board and your palate, leaving a positive impression on those who have sampled your work. To you, cooking is not only a discipline, but also an art.

Skill Proficiencies: Nature, Medicine
Tool Proficiencies: Cook’s utensils, Brewer’s supplies
Equipment: A set of common clothes, your personal set of cook’s utensils, 2 glass bottles, jug/pitcher, iron pot, a fine bottle of wine, chef’s hat, and a belt pouch containing 10gp

FEATURE: MASTERFUL FOOD PREP
When you have access to the appropriate, fresh ingredients, you can spend an hour on preparing a hearty meal for up to 6 medium sized creatures or 3 large sized creatures. Those who eat this meal will recover one extra Hit Die of Health Points when they take their next short rest (this benefit can apply if the meal is eaten during a short rest), without consuming one of their Hit Die. Creatures cannot benefit from this feature more than once per short rest.
Additionally, when you have access to the appropriate, fresh ingredients, you can make your own kind of rations at half the normal cost.

SUGGESTED CHARACTERISTICS
d8 Personality Trait
1 Food is the happiness of life
2 A fresh meal is my way of showing hospitality to guests and friends
3 I feel responsible for taking care of my friends and family
4 I’m always thinking of the next new culinary fad
5 Anything can be an ingredient
6 I embellish the descriptions of my dishes
7 My cooking techniques are a secret that I will take to the grave
8 Food puns are my specialty

d6 Ideal
1 Service. I am committed to feeding those who are hungry or cannot feed themselves. (Good)
2 Perfectionism. A chef’s legacy and recipes must be passed down and protected to ensure a healthy future. (Lawful)
3 Creativity. I am above the outdated culinary conventions of the past. (Chaotic)
4 Control Freak. He who controls someone’s diet controls their life. (Evil)
5 Indiscriminate. Anybody willing to pay deserves a good meal. (Neutral)
6 Aspiration. I wish to become a renowned chef with my own restaurant. (Any)

d6 Bond
1 The last restaurant I worked in had closed its doors, leaving me looking for work.
2 I fled from my home after undercooking a noble’s dish. I would be ashamed to show my face there again.
3 I cook in remembrance of the chef who taught me what I know.
4 I travel the world to experience the foods of other cultures and to find new ingredients to work with.
5 The hands I cook with are the most important part of my body.
6 I’m on a quest to find the Allspice.

d6 Flaw
1 I can’t take criticism, especially regarding my culinary prowess.
2 Oftentimes, I cook while intoxicated.
3 I’m willing to poison the food of someone I don’t like.
4 Anyone who does not finish a plate of my food has insulted me.
5 I refuse to let other cook for me. I only trust my own food.
6 Butcher’s knives are great for cutting flesh…every kind of flesh.

I enjoy that you took time to create Traits/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws! Good work!

I also like the benefit; nothing drastic and already mixing well with the base game mechanics. It also provides an awesome benefit for low level characters since they have so few hit dice to spend.

I don’t think you could do much better on the Proficiencies.