[PROPOSAL] New Background: Paranormal Investigator (WIP)

Worldly anomalies lurk around the occasional corner, and few individuals are more aware of such supernatural happenings than you. With keen senses and the ability to detect when things aren’t as they should be, you not only witness the paranormal, but you know how to expose it and deal with it properly (most of the time). Whether it was a strange, life-changing event in your past, or the archaic library texts riddled with perplexing omens, the supernatural hides from plain sight while also whispering into the wind, begging you to discover it. Equipped with years of strange tales, occult tools, and perhaps a fractured sanity, you set forth into the world to discover what lies beyond.

Skill Proficiencies: History, and one based on your Specialty, listed below
Bonus Languages: You can speak with and understand beings that fall under your Specialty, as long as they have a spoken language.
Equipment: TBD

SPECIALTY:
1 Aberrations (Arcana)
2 Celestials (Religion)
3 Constructs (Arcana)
4 Elementals (Arcana)
5 Fey (Nature)
6 Fiends (Religion)
7 Monstrosities (Nature)
8 Oozes (Nature)
9 Plants (Nature)
10 Undead (Religion)

FEATURE: TOOLS OF THE TRADE
You gain advantage on any Intelligence-related skill checks regarding your field of expertise (Specialty).

You also have advantage against mind-altering effects (fears, charms, etc.) when they originate from something/some creature of your field of expertise.

And lastly, you possess a special item(s) that aids you in dealing with the creatures or forces belonging to your field of expertise. Perhaps you have a special vat that you can trap and seal aberrations in, a ritualistic scroll that wards away undead, or a potent liquid that disintegrates oozes. The possibilities are as endless as the kinds of anomalies that lie ahead in your journey. Consult or work together with your DM to create this item(s).

SUGGESTED CHARACTERISTICS
d8 Personality Trait

d6 Ideal
1 (Good)
2 (Lawful)
3 (Chaotic)
4 (Evil)
5 (Neutral)
6 (Any)

d6 Bond

d6 Flaw

I would be hesitant to see two new tools enter into the mix. I like the idea of a background rather than a class adding a new tool.

A good second tool slot could be a language associated with the specialty. I think the skills are good, though I could see Arcana be a good knowledge skill in some cases. Perhaps having more variance depending on the specialty?

Perhaps we could explore deeper ways to build characters, such as adding some other form of a background, or something more game affecting to character qualities (that impose benefits/penalties for roleplaying).