Delicious family favorite.
Prep Time 35 Min (plus 1 hour chill time)
Cook Time 55 Min
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled, unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup ice water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups halved fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (1/4 to 1/3 cup total), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Chill for at least one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with edge of plate. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry.
- For filling, in a large bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add berries and lemon peel; toss gently to coat. (If using frozen berries, let mixture stand about 45 minutes or until berries are partially thawed but still icy.) Transfer mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate.
- For crumb topping, in a medium bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup flour and the 1/3 cup sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle evenly over filling.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes (or 50 minutes for frozen berries). Remove foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.