Unearthed Arcana: Centaurs and Minotaurs

One new race and one updated race from WotC. The centaur is interesting because it is medium-sized while the monster is large-sized. I proposed my own version of the centaur back in May 2016 located here.

The hooves damage difference (homebrew 2d6, UA 1d6) makes sense given the size reduction.

The movement speed is another area of difference between the monster and the race (50 ft vs 40 ft). I understand why for balance reasons but it doesn’t explain the differences well.

The Hybrid Nature is interesting but there isn’t much out there that targets things by type and I don’t see that truly being a penalty or benefit but rather kind of moot.

When I read Equine Build instead of A Horse’s Bod I laughed a little. The differences are quite different; the specification of someone being able to ride you is interesting rather than letting it be implied. The climbing speed reduction is interesting though I still think there should have been some armor cost penalty. The load carrying capacity is rightly placed here instead of the size (as in mine), though I think they should have pursued something else. It would have been nice to codify a large-sized race.

I’m not sure what to think about the difference in Athletics versus Survival. I would rather see something more interesting than a skill, or even subraces of horses, but all in all I don’t see this as anything too major.

You can check it out for yourself here.

I do think it’s an interesting race for a martial character to take and adds unique utility. The increased mobility is nice for casters and archers.