Variant Attribute System

This change is based on

my previous work.

https://www.redemption.studio/t/new-attribute-soul/628

[quote=“thwright, post:1, topic:636”]
Besides other sample rules, below are lesser variants to the game that don’t demand their own topic yet will be used in my games.

Logic and Learning

These two attributes feel rather redundant and have been combined into one attribute called Intelligence.

Open Legend Community

Is there any reason not to remove the Logic attribute?

Logic seems like something which more comes from the player, rather than the character. As GM I would never have a player roll to solve a puzzle, I’d design puzzles for the players to solve or else not use puzzles. I wouldn’t have a player roll to…

The base attributes have been adjusted to the following. The extraordinary attributes remain unchanged.

• Might (Strength)
  • Agility (Dexterity)
  • Fortitude (Constitution)
  • Speed
  • Logic
  • Learning
  • Perception
  • Soul (Cognition, Affection, Volition, Heart, Spirit, Mind, Will, Sociability)
  • Communication
  • Deception
  • Persuasion
  • Presence (Charisma)
Notes

Will changed into Soul and its scope has been broadened.

Speed is used for Initiative and determining movement speed, and thus Agility’s association with Initiative has been removed. This change removes an inherent advantage found in most systems of Agi/Dex over Mig/Str. Movement speed for PCs now equals 25ft plus 5ft per rank.

Other possible applications to be explored include attacks on a first round or the highest initiative, or multi-attacks may in some way be determined by Speed or receive advantage.

Communication added as a way of encouraging players to form relationships with other characters. This attribute will be used for situations where characters need to listen, interact, and give back and forth with another. It will be used when building bonds and relationships. It represents a character’s ability to express himself verbally as well as understand another’s viewpoint.

This attribute is used when attempting to gather information; Persuasion is given as prying information, which I take to mean gathering information through some for of persuading. Deceit gains information by manipulation. Communication gains information by building relationships. This leaves room for the attribute to be distinguished from Persuasion and Deception. Rather than influencing for the self and the self’s goals, it is an attribute for mutual benefit of both communicators. It covers mediation, reconciliation, peacemaking, counseling, advising, understanding, and the like. Persuasion seeks to bring someone around to your side; Deception tricks someone to your side; Presence compels or intimidates someome to your side; Communication shows understandimg to the other party, bringing you to their side.

This is intended to make Persuasion less monolithic and give players more social capabilities. It also expands the total number of attributes to 12, with 4 in each category.